Post election, I know many people are feeling a bit down… but the SAD I’m talking about is Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD). Most of the articles I see on SAD are well into the winter season but it’s easier to prevent SAD before it happens. Some symptoms of SAD include the following: increased carbohydrate cravings, weight gain, fatigue, feeling overwhelmed and in some extreme cases, feeling depressed.
So how do you prepare now for the upcoming winter months?
- Start taking vitamin D now and continue until May! Consult with your physician to determine the proper IU amount for you. Vitamin D is helpful for symptoms of depression.
- Brighten up your home! Opening blinds and curtains will help allow natural light to come in which naturally helps to boost your mood.
- Exercise! Yeah, I know… You probably won’t want to, but exercising will really help you release those feel good endorphins and ultimately help with boosting your mood.
- Add in an extra serving of complex carbohydrates daily! Complex carbs help the body produce serotonin which helps with mood elevation.
- Figure out what you crave regularly & address those nutritional issues! Food cravings are usually an indicator of what your body is missing, so figure out what your body is trying to tell you!
When it gets cold, I love eating a hearty warm meal with potatoes and cheese! How do you usually combat SADs?