I still remember the very first makeup item I purchased; mascara. I was in the seventh grade and my friend introduced me to the makeup isle. All the products looked interesting to me but it was definitely overwhelming. I decided on a little tube of mascara and looking back, I probably wasn’t the most skilled at applying it. Several years later and I’ve been through many tubes of mascara and have compiled this list of my top 5!
A little background on my lashes may help with finding out if this is a useful Top 5 List for you. I have naturally long lashes with a few straight ones that don’t usually cooperate with me, so I generally opt for waterproof versions of mascara as I find that these hold a curl a lot better than the non-waterproof versions. With some mascaras though, the waterproof versions make your lashes stiff and spidery so I’ve been trying a new way to curl my lashes and stick with the regular formulas!
- Maybelline Big Eyes Mascara (waterproof)
- Benefit’s BADgal Lash Mascara
- L’oreal Voluminous Butterfly Mascara
- L’oreal Voluminous Mascara (waterproof)
- Too Faced Lashgasm Mascara
- BONUS! Estée Lauder Lash Primer Plus
With (1), the Big Eyes Mascara does live up to its name! I love how this lengthens my lashes and also thickens them enough at the base to give the illusion of more lashes. The curved brush of this mascara also helps with getting to the base of each lash.
(2) Benefit’s BADgal Lash Mascara lives up to the hype. Seen as a cult classic, the big plush brush of the wand helps to plump up any tiny and thin lashes that need help. Easily one of my favourite volumizing mascaras!
The Voluminous Butterfly Mascara (3) was picked up on a whim as the brush was not like any of my other mascaras. It does make a lot of sense to have longer bristles toward the end of the brush if you want a doe-like eye and L’oreal definitely got it right. Out of all the mascaras mentioned, I feel like this one is the most “natural” of them all and helps give my lashes a healthy coat.
(4) L’Oreal Voluminous mascara is one of the first mascaras I’ve tried, and I always find myself going back. The density of the bristles are just perfect in terms of my lashes as it coats it just evenly. The waterproof formula holds my curl just right and it gives the most amazing volumizing effect.
I don’t generally buy mascaras outside of the drugstore, but the claims on this Too Faced Lashgasm Mascara (5) was too good to pass up. The bristles on this mascara are plastic and relatively hard. This formula is also buildable which is a plus for all my thin lashed ladies!
Now, for a bonus (6)… like a primer for your face, eyes (or even walls when painting!), you need a primer for your eyelashes too! This adds volume and length to tiny lashes and definitely does a good job of it too. This base helps to coat your lashes with a vitamin enhanced formula and intensifies what your mascara does.